Sunday, January 16, 2005

Today's progess on Baby Surprise Jacket

Well, two of my friends joining me in this knitalong have read the pattern and begun asking questions.

One question is when EZ says "sl1, k2tog, psso" how does this work and why? My answer is she wants us to decrease 2 stitches every time we do this - k2tog makes a decrease, sl1/psso makes a second decrease, so if you sl1, THEN k2tog, then PSSO you decrease 2 stitches, one is a left leaning decrease, the other is a right leaning decrease. Fun stuff.

The safety pins she recommends putting into the work at the decrease points (see first row directions) both mark the Front of the work, and remind you to do the decreases on that side at that point.

I started this yesterday, using Lion Brand Superwash, and US8 needles to get the 5 st per inch to make a sweater for a 1 year old. I am doing it in Dark Grey (no standard baby clothes colors for me) with stripes of lighter grey and purple. Straight knitting (garter stitch) is very quick for me so I have 2 inches done with 2 stripes (haphazardly placed).

I am figuring out how to post pictures... it is NOT straightforward from the Mac.
Comments:
You actually should get a centered decrease with the center stitch on the bottom. I did another pattern that wanted a 2-stitch decrease in a place where it really should have been centered and they just called for a k3tog. I did the one EZ describes instead (although I came up with it on my own).
 
Indeed, yes, you get a centered decrease. With my lovely smooth yarn I can see both the left and right leanings within the centered decrease, which helped with identifying exactly which stitch should remain the center of the next decrease. . .
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?